Toenail Fungus Treatment
What is Nail Fungus?
Nail fungus is a relatively common problem. Though many people are unaware of the condition, it is estimated that 12 million Americans have this disorder. Men are twice as likely as women to have a nail fungus, and the incidence appears to increase with age. Those with diabetes or HIV are also at greater risk, as are those who tend to perspire a lot from their feet and or have a history of athlete’s foot. Other factors that add to the risk include poor circulation and hot, humid weather. The scientific name for toenail fungus is onychomycosis. The disease causes toenail discoloration and disfiguration of nails in some cases. The nail won’t feel as rigid. When fungus affects one of your toenails, it can easily escalate to the other adjacent toenails. It may first begin as a white or yellow spot that develops under the tip of the nail. The fungus can spread deeper into the toenail and change other nail properties such as color, brittleness, and thickness of the nail. At times, toenail fungus can be very painful. The fungus doesn’t need sunlight to survive and lives in warm and moist environments. When feet stay in socks for a long time duration, they develop conditions that are perfect for the growth of fungi.
Signs of Nail Fungus
Signs to look out for when you think that you have fungus growth are:
- Thickened nails
- Brittle nails
- Nails that are distorted
- Nails that lack shine or luster
- Nail discoloration
Is Toenail Fungus Contagious
Toenail fungus stands among those conditions that require complete information prior to the right solution. If you happen to cut your toenails with some clippers and one of those toenails is a fungus one, then the other toenails are at risk. Give that nail clipper to someone else and they cut their toenails, then there is a chance that they will get the toenail fungus. If you have a really bad case of toenail fungus and you then share the same socks and shoes as someone else, then there is a likelihood that they will get a fungus issue at some point. The difference is that fungal skin infection is far more contagious than fungus toenails and it is usually the skin issue that causes the toenail issue and vice versa.
Obviously public places where a lot of peoples feet congregate is prone to different types of micro-organisms, even your shower. The fungus itself is quite resilient within the nail because of many devices that it employs to keep itself safe and sound. Once out of the nail, the fungus is easy to destroy. Its eggs are the issue as they are protected against a wide variety of chemicals that we tend to use on a regular basis. Antibacterial soaps and sprays will not work because it is a fungus, not a bacterium. Some people keep their nail care instruments to themselves which is all fair and well, but then they keep them in a deep moisture laden pouch where the fungus thrives. So what do you do? If you have one toenail that has a mild fungus on it, you should treat it since ignoring it will make it get worse, and then the treatments will become stronger, and then there is a better chance of more toes being affected. If you have one toenail that has a fungus on it, buy two clippers. Label each one and then use one on the fungus toenail- and do not use that one anything else apart from that toenail. Clean the clippers as best as you can (the diluted beach is the best) and then store separately. Do not forget which clipper is the fungus one, and tell other people in the house not to use it. Now and then buy more clippers and dispose of the others. There is still a likeliness of that toenail fungus spreading, it is just in its nature, but at least you have reduced the chance.
Toenail Fungus: A Few Powerful Toenail Treatments
Thick, discolored, unsightly toenails. Toenail fungus causes it, and it can be a real pain. I know how bad it can be because I used to have this problem. I would avoid wearing sandals and going to the beach. It hurt to wear shoes. It was, well, a pain! If you’re looking for some information about toenail treatment, then keep reading because I’m about to share with you everything I learned when I was trying to treat my toenail fungus.
Toenail fungal infections are caused by a fungus, the same kind of life form that makes mushrooms. When I got fed up with my toenail fungus and went to the doctor, he gave me a few options. Those were:
Topical creams – This toenail treatment can help reduce symptoms of toenail fungus, but hardly ever cure it.
Oral Medication – Oral medications are reserved for average or worse cases of nail fungus. Oral anti-fungal medications are systemic – they eliminate the fungus once they’ve built up in your system and make the environment the fungi are living in, your body, inhospitable. They work pretty well although they take up to 6 months to eliminate the fungus and sometimes they have side effects.
Surgery – If you have a terrible case of nail fungus and nothing else is working, your last resort might be surgery. The doctor will remove the nail entirely to allow a new healthy nail to grow back in its place. Even this procedure isn’t 100%; if the fungus isn’t eliminated, it can reinfect the new nail when it grows back. Sometimes surgery has to be used in conjunction with an anti-fungal medication
Laser Therapy – New developments using laser therapy are showing some promise, but this treatment isn’t available everywhere – yet.
Simple Nail Fungus Prevention
It’s really quite easy to prevent toenail fungus, just follow these simple steps:
- Clean your feet regularly and thoroughly.
- Wear comfortable and properly fitted shoes
- Let your feet breathe – wear sandals, or shoes that allow air to circulate and are breathable are best.
- Regularly clip your toenails – properly. Cut straight across and file the rough edges.
- Don’t wear the same shoes every day to allow them to completely dry out.
- Limit bare feet in public spaces
- Use foot powders
- Change your socks every day
A little daily attention to your feet can go along way to preventing nail fungus. If you have nasty toenail fungus, you should try out these toenail treatments or go to your doctor.
Our Favorite Home Treatments
- Contains 2x MORE Bacillus Ferment – 10x MORE Tea Tree Oil – 50x MORE Vitamin E
- Starts to repair, relieve and restore damaged skin immediately upon application.
- Proven Customer Results With Over 75 Severe Skin Conditions.
- This homeopathic ointment supports the rapid production of new, healthy skin cells, skin repair and reduced scarring.
- FOOT & TOENAIL CARE: Our Antifungal Tea Tree Oil Foot & Body Wash, ReNew Nail Solution and Tea Tree Oil Foot Soak with Epsom Salt is the Ultimate Product Bundle to Help Beautify the Feet and Nails, Leaving Them Soft, Clean and Refreshed
- ANTIFUNGAL FOOT & BODY WASH: A Fragrant Blend of Essential Oils Including Tea Tree Oil, Oregano, Eucalyptus, Peppermint & and Other Essential oils, and Botanicals to Help Clean and Wash Loose Debris From the Toenails and Skin. Use as Part of Your Daily Shower Routine to Leave your Feet and Toenails Feeling Clean and Healthy. Works Great With a Nail Brush To Help Scrub and Lather the Feet & Toenails
- RENEW NAIL SOLUTION: A Natural Essential Oil Blend of Tea Tree Oil, Oregano Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Rosemary Oil, Cajuput Oil, Camphor Oil & Jojoba Oil. Helps Moisturize, Soften and add Shine to Dull Looking Toenails.
- TEA TREE OIL FOOT SOAK: Our Unique Proprietary Blend Made with the Highest Quality – Epsom salt, Dead Sea salt, Tea Tree Oil and 6 Additional Essential Oils – Helps Leave your Feet and Toenails Feeling Clean, and Healthy. Can be Used in The TUB, FOOT BATH or FOOT BASIN
- CLINICALLY PROVEN KERASAL FUNGAL NAIL RENEWAL IMPROVES NAIL APPEARANCE IN JUST 1 WEEK! Kerasal helps restore the healthy appearance of discolored or damaged nails caused by factors such as toenail fungus (onychomycosis) or psoriasis.
- IMPROVES NAIL APPEARANCE IN OVER 90% OF FUNGAL NAIL SUFFERERS (when used as directed).
- REDUCES DISCOLORATION, NORMALIZES THICKNESS AND REHYDRATES BRITTLE, DAMAGED NAILS CAUSED BY NAIL FUNGUS – Kerasal’s unique formula deeply penetrates the nail and helps remove the damaged layers to restore healthy nail appearance.
- APPROVED BY THE AMERICAN PODIATRIC MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
- Clinically Proven Tolnaftate: The active ingredient in NailRENEW, Tolnaftate, is an FDA compliant antifungal combined with a blend of proprietary compounds and mild surfactants to help penetrate the nail and eliminate fungus.
- Unique Delivery System: Nail fungus is difficult to treat due to its hard to reach location underneath the nail bed. Tolnaftate is delivered underneath the nail bed using the mild solvent, PEG-8, and a proprietary mixture of mild surfactants and compounds designed to deliver Tolnaftate to the source of the infection (where others fail to reach).
- Safe & Effective: Visible results reported in as a little as 6-8 weeks. Elimination of fungus may vary from person to person due to severity, number of nails and nail regrowth rate. NailRENEW is designed specifically to eliminate the infection at the base of the nail so that while nail regrowth occurs you can clip away excess infected nail until a healthy new nail regrows in its place.
- CLINICALLY PROVEN. Effective against 99.9% of Nail Fungus.100% Natural Herb Ingredients
- WITH CARVACROL, Vitamin C, Vitamin E. Therapeutic Grade.
- Effective only in 4 Weeks. Highly Effective – Maximum Strength.
- Fungus Stop Nail Solution is an all in one Solution system.The main active ingredient is Carvacrol. Carvacrol is an ingredient found in maximum content in Oregano Oil and is Natural. Carvacrol has very strong antifungal properties and can kill the fungus at a rate of 100% and in a short time. There are many published scientific medical studies on the properties and effectiveness of Carvacrol – Oregano Oil. Fast results in appearance and color of the nails.